I skipped the introduction part of the blog where I describe work I am here to do! I work at an all volunteer based organization called Thabita. It supports the orphans and vulnerable children in Kayanga. In the morning, I work with the lil youngsters (3-6 years) - teaching English, playing games, reading books, practice writing, and singing songs. It's a kindergarten and I am not sure how it happened, but from 8-12 Monday through Friday I am a full on kindergarten teacher. When we have funding, we are able to provide them with feedings of soft porridge, and I know that for some of them that's the only food they receive that day. About once a week I want to ripe my hair out because they won't listen, but it's hard to be mad at them when every morning they greet me the second they see me walk out of my yard yelling, “Jack-ie, Jack-ie” (like it's a chant).

In the afternoon, I devote my time and energy to the older kids. They have proven to be a lot more challenging, for different reasons, due to their insane shyness and the huge language barrier. For the past few months I have been trying and trying to get them to open up and gain some confidence speaking English. The concept of nurturing children (in the American sense) is not really practiced here. So through educational games, life skills lessons, awareness on HIV/AIDS, goal setting, good decision making, etc I am hoping to help them find their voice.
 |
| Me with the older group |
What has been getting progressively better has been the dance group my friend, Peggy, and I started here. Thanks to the incredibly loud speakers that blow up the village, we stir up a ruckus every Friday at 12:30 pm. It's been a lot of fun so far and sort of essential for me to connect with the kids without having to use language. We are all able to bust out our best moves during the warm up/free style portion and I take that opportunity to dance out all my stress from that week.
As a health volunteer, I have been dibble dabbling in health sessions under the gathering tree, which I sort of love! My sister would say it's because I am a middle child and love the attention, and during the health sessions all eyes are on me, the only white person. It's a nice change of pace from working with the kids, and has been really interesting seeing people's reactions when I tell them that, for example, tying red string bracelets around the baby's arms, legs and neck is in fact not the only way to treat diarrhea.
 |
| the poster to aid in my diarrhea/nutrition session |
 |
| and again the poster for malaria |
 |
| malaria health session under the tree |
Love the shout out!! also so impressed by the posters in Thimbukushu. What else. I love that you have a dance class, sounds amazing, and though i'm scared of what your "spastically dancing" means- I'm sure 'the bird' comes out every once and awhile :-)
ReplyDelete