| this is what hiking looks like....(my friend Peggy) |
After
lasting through the night during an insane rain storm with the sheet
covering my head to prevent raindrops running my face, due to an old
grass roof, I wake up to find my bathing station ripped apart. The
reed fence is becoming more and more sparse so any given person
passing can't miss more of my white skin whenever I bath. No control
over my hut's stability...
There were two memorials and two
burials last week, so no one showed up to work at my center. I didn't go to work for four days in a row. No control when no one works for a
paycheck....
| Kayanga's sheben (with my mom!) |
I go to
the local sheeben (bar) with my friend Selma to relax and treat
ourselves to a Saturday afternoon drink. There is a car full of men
from town that had stopped. They all want to greet me and take
individual photos with me. I spend 25 minutes with 12 pairs of eyes
solely on me, so I leave, because after a year and a half it still
makes me feel so uncomfortable. No control or chance of ever blending
in...
While
walking into my center's storage room, the cook yells something in
Thimbukushu. I don’t understand and continue entering, I walk right
into a bee's nest. (There was some sense of control over this but I didn't know the word for bees...)
I have
four different people ask me, “kupi wa kuyenda Jackie?” (where
are you going?) every time I make the walk to my pit latrine. No
control over my personal space...
Every
volunteer has to deal with the lack of control in our Namibian lives
one way or another. Whether it be waiting for over an hour in an ATM
line only to find that it, along with the entire town, has run out of
money, or having to hitch hike 11 hours to get a cavity filled, we
all are living it. Some volunteers handle it like pros. I, on the
other hand, have monthly breakdowns.
My
Namibian counterpart takes flexibility to a whole new level. I used
to laugh at his ability to brush off any incident with his bizarre
laugh, “the roof blew off? OK, we will fix it later”, “someone
stole my phone but ah, life is just like that”. Recently I have
more pent up anger to the time frame of my projects, and when he
contributes with his overly laid back personality I unfairly take the
anger out on him. The last two months I have had to shell out a lot
more apologies than usual.
His motto
in life is “Let's Hope”.
This
phrase can apply to ANY situation he likes. If I try to set up a
meeting time, and ask him if he is free at that time, “Let's hope”.
When fixing my netting in the space around my hut cracks and I ask
him if this will keep the snakes out, “Let's hope”. If I press
him for more information, because I don't find that answer is satisfactory, he will follow it up with “if God will allow it”.
He lives life so in the moment that he cannot predict if something
else will come up.
Instead of
trying to get to his level, which is know is impossible, I really try
to think before I react to a situation. I ask myself “am I reacting
to this in an American way?” When the answer is yes, I go take a walk to the river, go fetch
water, go buy a cool drink, wherever, and talk to myself. I
literally talk out loud to myself and pretend I am venting to someone
that gets me. I look like the crazy, drunk guy that lives around here
but it actually helps. It also saves my friends an earful from me, I
know they are all going through the same cultural obstacles all over
the country.
Also, I
learned how to say “Let's Hope” in Thimbukushu so if he ever asks
me anything I just glibly reply with “Na Kurupera”. It's liberating!

wow.....rendered speechless...
ReplyDeleteI vote you add some more reed to that fence!
ReplyDelete