The goodbyes have finally begun. This Sunday was
my very last full weekend in the village, meaning my very last church service.
I wanted to say a few goodbye words to the community: to the ones that taught
me the seemingly mind boggling dance steps and with whom I mumbled my way
through two years worth of gospel Thimbukushu songs.
After the two hour service that ended with a
group prayer, I went to the front of the church to say my prepared speech in
Thimbukushu. At the end of the speech there was the expected cheering and
clapping. What was completely unexpected is what came afterwards. The priest
and his wife, my friend Getu, instructed me to stay at the front. My dear
friend Pakela started singing a song that loosely translates to ‘carry on, we
will never forget you’. After one verse a man in the back came in with a lively
drum beat then within seconds the whole congregation stood up from the
hand-made benches and perfectly started in on the second verse. I awkwardly
stood there for 30 seconds until Astrid, a member of my Women’s Group,
slowly came up from the back bench to give me the traditional Namibian hug. It
starts with a handshake then goes into a double hug, once to the right then
once to the left. This prompted others to follow her lead. Before I knew it the
entire room was lined up to hug me, all while still singing and dancing.
It only took until the fourth hug before I just
started crying. I normally become embarrassed when my emotions get the best of me
and when I am crying while no one else is. At this time and place, however, I found
my emotions 100% appropriate. While still standing at the front and after
hugging close to 75 people, I was able to take in what was really happening. I
brought into focus what my last two years had been. Through all the lonely and
sometimes difficult times, it was a beautiful thing. The most beautiful thing I
have been honored to be a part of. Once they closed the song and I wiped my
tears, I wrapped it up with the traditional, ‘ALALALLA’ call of celebration. I
have always been to shy to start this call. It has the most contagious effect
and right away the rest of the women followed suit in perfect harmony of the
painfully high pitched shriek, all powered by the tongue and impossible to not
smile while performing.
I say this probably because it is still so fresh
in my mind and I am still on a little high from it, but it was one of my most
favorite life moments. I hope to always remember this feeling of love from the
amazing people of Kayanga.

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete