I have totally not given enough attention to the kids in my dance group. This is the group my friend, Peggy, and I started in my village. Peggy lives 15 km away and gets a ride in once a week to help teach the class. We have a big performance coming up for World AIDS Day on December 3rd and I don’t know who is more nervous, me or the kids! Even though dancing is supposed to be a free-spirited, stress reliever activity, it was still difficult getting them out of their shell. There was a period when week after week Peggy and I would wonder "how have we been practicing this for months and they still look uncomfortable with it?!" I guess even though they can move their shoulders and hips like lil African Shakiras to the beat of the drum, it’s different when it’s choreographed group dance steps. Below is the church that the priest let's us practice in sometimes.
![]() |
| A performance of my dance kids using the shetenge clothes as dancing prompts! |
But as of last week I was so proud! They are ready for the big performance and I think Peggy and I are performing with them for one of the dances ...I am counting on looking like a fool. It’s really fun seeing the kids excited about something, all eyes will be on them doing something they have worked hard on. The event will include multiple groups performing: a drama; songs; and dances. I am even having the lil youngsters from the kindergarten sing both Thimbukushu songs and English songs. The only English song they know without any prompting from me is "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", which of course has no relevance to AIDS but is precious none-the-less. I never want those kids to leave me and go to grade 1! There is a lot of pressure for the event because the headman in attending along with the majority of the village. The cow we are slaughtering should feed hundreds, so I hope the event will be legitimate. We will also be having HIV testing going on all day on site, the first time ever testing will be brought to the village. We hope this will increase testing numbers since it is a very far walk to get tested at the hospital. I am nervous and forgot what this type of pressure felt like...its been a while. Will post pics after the event!



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.