It
was a ton of work, I could barely keep up with these Mbukushu women.
We first had the oxen go in to plow the soil, then we spent 3 days
weeding the area. They taught me the songs they usually sing while
they spend hours in the field planting the maize meal. I only
mastered one, though. For the next week tasks included; collecting manure in the cow fields, smuggling wood ash and charcoal
from fire pits (with permission), collecting thorns to make the
traditional fences (unfortunately cows already stepped on all our
hard work so we need lots of defense against them), doing our single
then double digs and finally, planting!
The
garden workshop taught us how to use a smaller amount of space to
produce a bigger yield, by allowing the roots to grow deeper with our
super, ridiculously nourished soil. For seeds we decided on; onions,
swiss chard (I had no idea what this was but I think it's like
spinach?), beets, cabbage (they LOVE cabbage\), carrots, and beans.
We are also setting aside a large portion of our land for the
traditional crops; maize meal, pumpkin leaves and mutete (a type of
spinach that I will never eat again after my last food poisoning).
This makes for well rounded nutrients. The plan is for the ladies to
take some vegetables home to their families then sell a good portion
of it too. They are very excited to sell and make at least a little
income. I am excited for their children to get at least a little
nutrients in their skinny bodies. We have a lot of space available
and still many more weeks of work cut out for us. But here are our
first 8 beds (we want to do around 15). Cross your fingers this
works out...seriously, do it...I have never done this kind of thing
before and I will feel bad for all the hard work the women put in if
it fails.


What a pretty spot to be out working every day! Good work- sounds exhausting but fun. You should video the women singing some time, or get a copy of the songs!
ReplyDeleteIT WILL NOT FAIL....take that word out of your vocabulary...I BELIEVE IN YOU :)
ReplyDeleteHurray for swiss chard! What are pumpkin leaves? Do you eat the leaves?
ReplyDeleteyeah the pumpkin leaves are sorrrt of like cabbage, my vegetable repertoire is not so good so that's all I can think to relate it to. I am emailing you now for gardening advice!
ReplyDeleteHey jack....what about sweet potato...your favorite...Elizabeth suggested growing those...would they survive the sand and drought?
ReplyDelete