About Me

My photo
Kayanga, Kavango Region, Namibia
My blog about being a Peace Corps Volunteer in Namibia Disclaimer: The views here do not reflect the Peace Corps or United States Government rather the views expressed are one person's journey through their Peace Corps experience in Namibia

7/19/2012

Village Developement and Updates

Kayanga is moving up in the world. We have had some commotion going on this past month, people from the capital and the big regional town have been camping out in Kayanga drilling a new borehole for us. The borehole that we have right now is only accessible to about 10% of Kayanga, because for most homesteads the river is the closer water option. For a lot of reasons we are so lucky to be so close to the river, specifically for planting purposes, but for drinking water the river poses some other problems. The river is known for giving lots of people worms and parasites, plus there are crocs and hippos. This new borehole will use solar power to pump water up into really large tanks, and it will be more accessible to the rest of the community. And...it just happens to be placed directly behind my hut. This is going to make life so easy, I feel spoiled. It will practically be like I have running water, no more walking a long distance with heavy buckets.

The other news is that my OVC Center (Orphan and Vulnerable Children Center) may be getting electricity. I do not talk about my center that often, even though it is my primary job. This is for two reasons, one is that I am invested in other projects that interest me much more. Two is because the center goes through lots of lulls. As mentioned before, the center is 100% volunteer based, we are not able to provide any initiatives for the volunteers. Some months the center runs great, and it's a beautiful sight to go there and see up to 5 women doing their assigned responsibilities. But then other months it's like pulling teeth to get people to show up. June was a bad month, but July is somehow booming. I have not deciphered the pattern of activity, it's completely random.

The prospect of electricity will bring more incentive, and I strongly believe that the women will feel much more motivated. In the last year, there has been quite a bit of development, including two concrete buildings. However, now we are stuck with the same activities day after day and the women are feeling stagnant. We have applied for a grant to supply us with electricity and sewing machines. This could provide daily work for the 17 project members, work that could make an income. All the money that will be made from selling clothes would go back to the center to buy blankets, soap, shoes, school supplies, etc for the children in our center. Our women will also be given a chance to benefit, since they do all this work for free. Assuming they provide their own materials, they can use the electricity and machines to make clothes and sell them on their own. This concept of economic development (on a small scale, I know) and having a business is currently not something seen in Kayanga.


Below is the building made where we will sew built in about 6 months by 2-3 men who worked for just a bowl of porridge with sugar everyday! The roof flew off this past rainy season, so the grant we applied for would also cover a new roof and windows (oh and a new door since the rain that flooded the floor ruined the door)




Some other little things—Stephanus' body was found washed up about 5 km away from Kayanga. I was surprised his body was not eaten by a crocodile because our Kavango River is FULL of them, but apparently they have picky taste and only eat fresh bodies. But because there was a body there was a funeral held. I spoke at his memorial service, in Thimbukushu, which I am really glad I did even though it was very nerve-racking to speak in front of so many others. Then to abruptly jumping topics-my Mom, Dad and Aunt Helen are crossing the Atlantic Ocean now to visit The Land of the Brave. I don’t even know how to properly formulate my emotions on this so I won't try! I just know that it is coming at a good time.

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.